- The Mosaic Web Browser was released in 1993. It was the first publicly available browser with a graphical interface.
- Prior to 1995, HTML was mostly utilized to create web pages. The pages were static.
- JScript in Internet Explorer
- CEnvi in ScriptEase
Let’s travel back in time a little. Initially, there were no standards for programming languages. However, the growing use of computers from multiple manufacturers revealed the necessity for consistency in operating approaches such as programming and input and output codes. Data developed on one manufacturer’s computer might be utilized on another manufacturer’s computer with very minor modifications. It would also cut down on redundancy in the development of new programming languages. That is why, on April 27, 1960, a manufacturer’s association known as the European Computer Manufacturers Association, or ECMA, was formed in Brussels. A committee was created to develop the association’s foundation as well as write rules and standards.
- ISO/IEC 16262, hosted by IEC (the International Electrotechnical Commission) and ISO (the International Organization for Standardization)
|Year of edition||Name||The features that were added|
|1997||ECMAScript 1||First edition|
|1998||ECMAScript 2||Some version modifications|
|1999||ECMAScript 3||○ Regular expressions fully supported in all browsers|
|ECMAScript 4||Not released|
|2009||ECMAScript 5||○ JSON support|
○ “strict mode”
○ Added Array iteration methods
|2011||ECMAScript 5.1||Some version modifications|
|2015||ECMAScript 6||○ Default parameter values|
○ let and const
|2016||ECMAScript 7||○ Array.prototype.includes|
○ Exponential operator (**)
|2017||ECMAScript 8||○ New Object properties|
○ String padding
○ Shared memory
○ Async functions
|2018||ECMAScript 9||○ Asynchronous iteration|
○ rest / spread properties
○ Additions to RegExp
|○ Array methods .flatMap()|
○ Optional catch call
○ JSON superset
|○ Optional sequence operator|
○ Zero Merge operator
|○ Logical assignment operator|
○ Promise.any() and AggregateError
|○ Checking private fields|
○ Using await at the top level of the module
○ Indexes in regular expression match objects
The evolution of the JS language cannot be separated from the development of various frameworks and libraries. A new JS framework or library appears on a regular basis. We will recall the first and most significant ones. Frameworks and libraries contain ready-made components and elements that developers can use in creating apps. It significantly facilitates and speeds up the process of building applications. Besides, the most well-known frameworks have wide communities of developers, which provides newcomers with an opportunity to learn fast and to benefit from their peers’ experience.
- The Webix UI library was also launched in 2013. It has matured greatly since that time, offering complex ready-made SPAs, as well as a built-in microframework, a UI Designer, templates, Code Snippet, Skin Builder, and Form Builder.